An Opinionated Guide: First Look

Discuss Anime and Manga related topics here.

An Opinionated Guide: First Look

Postby Encephalon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Welcome to an opinionated guide where I smash on a keyboard for an hour frantically churning out a paragraph or two of uninhibited rage and spelling errors.

This is where I'll be be doing first looks before I post a full episode breakdown,
I'll try to keep these as spoiler free as possible but be warned as soon as an episode guide hits spoiler warning well be be in effect.

We have two upcoming guides so lets get to work!

Guide one: Sweet Blue Flowers / Aoi Hana (SUB)

Primary Genre: Yuri / Shoujo - ai
Secondary: Slice of Life

I admit I don't read much, but I wasn't unaware of Aoi hanas existence it just kept getting pushed to the side, but with lucky penny (rightstufs new publishing wing) putting out a subtitled DVD of the anime I was quick to snap it up. just be aware I'll be looking at this from the perspective of an outsider. The story focuses on Fumi and Akira two childhood friends reunited after a decade apart having a chance reunion at a train station with neither realizing who the other is. Fumi is a tall girl with glasses and has just moved back to town attending her first day at the public highschool, when while waiting for the train she bumps into Akira who saves her from a groping passenger with a swift stomp on his foot, Akira however attends a nearby all girls Catholic School, that's the basic setup, exploring the relationships between the girls and those around them. Secondary Genre is Slice of life, meaning there won't be any monsters, giant robots or magic being flung around, its a character study and a drama. I've only seen the first four episodes but I'll be watching them all before going back through for a proper guide. If you're a fan of Yuri you'll eat this up, so long as you can stand reading subtitles.

Guide Two: Persona 4 - The Animation

Primary Genre: Fantasy
Secondary: Slice of Life

Persona 4, what can I say about it? its BIG, I played it back on the PS2, I own The Golden on Vita, being one of the two reasons I bought the console when I did. After spawning a popular stage play and being hailed en masse by critics for its story and characters what could possibly go wrong with porting that story to a 24 episode anime? We'll if you're coming in from P4G you'll be right at home, PS2 owners should know the P4G version of the game had to redub two of the major characters (Chie, Teddy) but almost all of the P4G Voice actors are there so you'll fall right into it, I got used to the new voices quickly but it may be off putting for so just be aware of that.

For those who are just joining us allow me to break it down for you. Yu Nakamura is a high school student who recently moved to the small town of Inaba after his parents went to work overseas. for a year he'll be staying at his uncles home with him and his daughter. Yu makes friends quickly people seem to open up to him at the drop of a hat so he becomes quite popular. but all the while, a rash of bazzare murders have hit the region and he soon finds himself in a world that shapes itself based on the minds of those who fall into it.

Wrap up:
I'll try to have the first part of the Aoi Hana guide done ASAP as I don't have the second half of Persona 4 quite yet. Stay Tuned!
"I'll be the one to protect the world. I'll rule everything. I'll end it all." - Lady Black Heart
Encephalon

Re: An Opinionated Guide: First Look

Postby Encephalon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Okay well this is awkward...

I did finish Aoi hana but.... I'm not going to be doing a guide for it.
The reason is actually really simple, I didn't love it. not to say its bad, its good but the parts I didn't like aren't bad enough to work me into a lather.. and the parts I like aren't quite good enough for me to overly praise. Besides that there wasn't much material for a full guide.

In the mean time the Persona 4 (The Animation) Review is still incoming the second set of blurays are shipping in in the next few days so stay tuned!
"I'll be the one to protect the world. I'll rule everything. I'll end it all." - Lady Black Heart
Encephalon

Postby gappiee » Mon May 27, 2013 12:09 pm

woah a lot of info on things I have never heard off... I have been watching some more anime recently ... mostly because I found a site with a random button(which requires even less thinking about what to watch)... I understand you don't really recommend Aoi Hana? more of a sort of:"Meh"? oh well might watch it anyway ... or maybe I will never watch another anime :P
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"
gappiee

Postby Encephalon » Tue May 28, 2013 6:53 am

no no its good I really did like it. there were a few elements that kinda nagged at me.

think of it like you just ate a good candy bar and you're left liking it but wishing you had another one when you're done.

even then I didn't get a second screening so I'm hesitant to give a firm opinion especially since its been a while

there is one series that deserves a full dressing down and I'm wondering if I even want to risk my sanity watching it again
Encephalon

Postby gappiee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm

oh I did see Aoi Hana pass me a few times now on different pages on teh interwebs.... haven't seen it though it did not sound very appealing to me .... but that might have been a bad synopsis, I don't know.
oh and I highly recommend Samurai Champloo to anyone that has not seen it... I watched it some time ago, it was much better than I remembered, although I was quite young when I gave it a first try, so I think I missed a lot of the humor in it. Also I recently watched the first three episodes of gatchaman crowds and I love it so far, so I recommend that as well it has a slightly wonky art style but I started overlooking that pretty fast as it has very likable characters.
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"
gappiee

Postby gappiee » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:55 am

OOH and I'm back! ... ish I have finally gotten around to watching the first episode of Aoi Hana... and well I like it so far, I mainly like the animation and art style. but I can see why you wouldn't want to write a review of it, I agree on the nothing is really bad and nothing is really good so far. I did enjoy the first episode though which is quite rare for me as it seems a pretty slow anime.

Oh and I finished Gatchaman Crowds a couple of days ago, I am not sure whether I mentioned it on here before, but I really liked it. It has only twelve episodes making it a bit short and the end seems a bit rushed, like they where afraid it would get to many episodes... but other than that it has really nice artwork and appealing characters that are fun to watch. oh I see i mentioned it in the post before this one.... oh well

I also recently finished Mushibugyou which I also quite enjoyed, this one has 26 episodes, and also suffers a bit from the rushed ending thing although it is not as bad as with the gatchaman one. the main character reminds me a bit of luffy from one piece .. now that I think about it there are more characters that have a slight resemblance to one piece characters.

hmm I think there will never be bad anime reviews from me ... as I do not finish watching the ones I don't like and do not bother to remember them :P
gappiee

Postby Encephalon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 am

Some quick recommendations

Action:
the unlimited hyoubu kyousuke: Fun action show - based on Zettai Karen Children but you don't need to see that to enjoy it - I walked in with no knowledge and was fine. Its a show about Espers with the title character being taken into a prison for Espers... kyousuke is very much an antihero kind of... he's actually quite interesting as are the people who surround him I don't wanna spoil much but you should definitely have a go.

Moe:
Tamako Market: Moe show are somewhat infamous for their over the top emotion and reaction - tomako market is playing it far more subtle and trusts it audience to pick up on small gestures or expressions rather that needing to spell everything out. The title character is a middle school student who lives at her father mochi shop with her grandfather and younger sister - one day Tomako is given some flowers from the local flowershop and inside is a talking bird... which obviously perplexes everyone - as if talking bird wasn't enough there is more going on with him than meets the eye.

I'll have more recommendations later
Encephalon

Return to Anime/Manga